Envision Opelika is a citizen-driven planning effort created to make a lasting difference in the quality of life for Opelika residents. The citizens are the experts in this process because they know better than anyone what our community needs.
The Envision Opelika process began with a blank slate and focused on the ideas and issues suggested by residents. In 2001 six public meetings were held to learn what Opelika citizens wanted. The following year Opelika residents worked together to develop shared goals and implementation strategies.
We envision a city that . . .
- has a unique and attractive downtown
- is beautiful, vibrant, and clean
- is comprised of safe, well-planned and attractive neighborhoods
- provides an excellent school system
- provides a highly trained professional, affordable health care system
- provides ample, safe roadways and carefully maintained green spaces and parks
- provides outstanding cultural and entertainment opportunities and state-of-the-art recreation facilities
- promotes a safe environment for all citizens
- has a government that is open and fair and promotes long range planning
- promotes the recruitment and creation of a wide variety of employment opportunities
- actively preserves its heritage and history
- supports healthy family initiatives
- enhances all aspects of life which promotes harmony among all of its citizens
We’ve accomplished a lot since 2001 and have been envisioning Opelika ever since.